- Michael Tubbs is faculty in residence at Langston Hughes Academy in Stockton, California. In addition to his role as an educator, Tubbs was elected in 2012 as the youngest city council member in Stockton’s history, earning more than 60 percent of the citywide vote; and in 2016 became the youngest mayor in city history!
- A first generation student at Stanford University, Michael was selected as the Founder’s Day Speaker, out of 6,000 undergraduate students – and the first freshman in the 117-year history of the university – to do so. During his time at Stanford he has also co-founded the task-force to end racial profiling in Palo Alto
- He has spent the past several years helping Stockton bounce back from record homicides and bankruptcy, and championed reforms to improve police community relations, increased investment in the underserved areas of Stockton, increased opportunity for youth.
- In the community at-large, he has spearheaded the creation of, “Save Our Stockton”, a group for youth and by youth that lobbies and calls for change on pertinent youth issues in Stockton, CA, and has worked with the Children’s Defense Fund on their California Campaign to End the Cradle to Prison Pipeline.
- Awards and accolades include: “Top 4 Power Player Under 40” by Black Enterprise Magazine, “Top 25 under 25” by The Root, Reader Digest‘s “50 Things to Love About America”, University of Southern California Presidential Scholar, American University Frederick Douglass Scholar, the cover story of Quest magazine, Martin Luther King Youth of the Year, Alice Walker Essay Contest Winner, California Youth Ambassador, captain of the inaugural NAACP National Great Debate Champions.
- Winner of the Inaugural Google Bold Distinguished Alumni Award: For dedication to building the next generation of leaders in our community.
- Fellow at Design School at Stanford
Video: Michael Tubbs at Stanford
Video: True Son Documentary Trailer